Fires in Finland

Contact requests, questions and general discussion
SSGVasa

Fires in Finland

Post by SSGVasa »

Howdy!

I hope you guys havent melted away in the summer heat. It has been insane with the temperatures here in Sweden and with fires.

Im curious about Finland if you guys have had alot of fires over there too and if you received help from the EU with fire fighting planes and fire trucks and things like that? How has your situation been this summer?
When it was really bad there were about 80 fires burning. About 20 000 hektar (50 000 acres) of forest has been lost due to fires according to the authorities, thats about 60 million euros worth. These numbers are from middle of July so there surely has to be even larger numbers.

/Vasa
JoneKone

Re: Fires in Finland

Post by JoneKone »

Howdy!

It´s been hot here too. Steady 28 degrees inside where I live near Helsinki. But I´ve heard that Im one of the lucky ones. For some reason most houses don´t have aircon. :)

We´ve had some forrest fires but not as bad as in sweden or europe/us. I think we also sent a small fire unit to northern sweden to assist.
"Vihollisen paras ase on oma krh" - Acidizer
SSGVasa

Post by SSGVasa »

Ah I see. The reason Im asking is that Sweden and Finland are about the same geographically but Finland doesnt burn as bad as Sweden and it makes me wonder what we are doing wrong over here. Maybe the experts will find out why eventually. Thanks for the reply.
JoneKone

Post by JoneKone »

SSGVasa wrote:Ah I see. The reason Im asking is that Sweden and Finland are about the same geographically but Finland doesnt burn as bad as Sweden and it makes me wonder what we are doing wrong over here. Maybe the experts will find out why eventually. Thanks for the reply.
I think it is just coincidence. If it would have been even a little bit dryer than now we could easily be in the same situation. Just a few years ago russia had some big fires at our eastern border and all of helsinki was covered in thin smoke due to the wind direction. Maybe it is our turn next summer... who knows. :)
"Vihollisen paras ase on oma krh" - Acidizer